In 1924, the Klinck, Wickenberg, and
Company building (formerly Shepheard's Tavern) was torn down and a
distinguished bank and office building erected in the same place.
Throughout the years for various reasons, Freemasons and especially
Scottish Rite Masons have asked for and obtained permission to attach
tablets to the outside of the building. The owner of the building has
always approved such requests. The following is a list of all the
Masonic tablets now attached to the bank.
1, located on the corner of building at Broad and Church
On This Site Stood The Building In Which The Supreme Council, 33░,
Ancient And Accepted Scottish Rite Of Freemasonry Was Founded May 31,
1801, A.D., Corresponding To Sivan 19, 5561 A.M. Solomon's Lodge No.
1, Ancient Freemasons Chartered By The Grand Lodge Of England 1735 Was
Organized On This Site, October 28, 1736.
Tablet 2, located at the corner on
Church Street, has two plaques, one above the other. The first
plaque (pictured at right) reads:
The Grand Lodge Of Ancient Freemasons Of South Carolina Organized
before August 18,1737, this Grand Lodge met in Charles Shepheard's Tavern,
an early meeting Place of the colony, once Located on this corner. Erected
by the Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of S.C. 1987
Back to Top
Plaque two, located under plaque
one, reads as follows:
At This Northeast Corner Of This Building William A. Giles Grand Master
Ancient Free masons Laid The Corner Stone On This Building November 24th,
Tablet 3, located on the back
corner of the building, is a cornerstone. It reads:
W.A. Giles Grand Master Of Masons A.D. 1928ľA.L. 5928
especially Scottish Rite Brothers, are near the corner of Church and Broad
Streets in downtown Charleston, they owe it to themselves to visit this
historic location. While walking around the neighborhood, visit St.
Michael's and St. Philip's Church as the founding "Eleven
Gentlemen of Charleston," the founders of the Supreme Council, did
when they lived there in 1801.
An appropriate monument has been approved by Bank
officials to be installed on the corner in front of the bank. A
commemorative ceremony will occur there on Tuesday, October 2, 2001,
during the Biennial.