Crisp’s Map of 1704
Charles Town/Charleston Street’s In The Early Years
By: Ill. Bro. McDonald "Don" Burbidge, 33º
In 1677 as the early
settlement increased it was called "Oyster-Point-Town." In
November of 1680 the town was renamed "New Charles-Town," in
1682 was again renamed "Charles-Town" then in 1783 the town was
incorporated and became known as its present name of
The town was originally laid off no further to
the West than Meeting Street, a line to the Bay, a little to the North of
the present St. Philip’s Church formed its northern boundary, and
somewhere about Water Street was its southern extremity. For many years
the streets were not distinguished by any names. In a deed of sale dated
January 20, 1696/1697 a street is first described as "Queen
Street." Found in deeds of the same period, East Bay Street was
described as "a street running parallel with the Cooper River, from
Ashley River to the French Church." In a deed dated July 30, 1698
some bounds are described as being on "Broad Street, alias Cooper
Street that lead from Cooper River by the Church and Market place to the
Ashley River." Also found in a deed dated August 17, 1699, it appears
that the lots upon which City Hall and the Court House now stand, were the
original sites of the Market place and some additional lands are described
as bounding upon "the great street (now called Meeting Street) that
runs north and south through the Market Place."
Adger's Wharf is one of the
several streets in the made land to the east of East Bay Street, which
still carry the names of wharfs. Adger's Wharf began its history as a
"low water lot" (land exposed at low tide) belonging to Robert
Tradd and situated across Bay Street (now East Bay) from his residence at
Tradd and the Bay. Robert Tradd, a son of Richard Tradd and, according to
tradition, the first English child born in South Carolina, died in 1731,
bequeathing the "Water Lot" to Jacob Motte and his children.
Motte was for many years the Public Treasurer of South Carolina and was
also a prominent merchant, a sometime partner of James Laurens (brother of
Henry Laurens). He built on Tradd's low Water lots a large wharf known as
"Motte's Wharf" or "Motte's Bridge." Buildings on
Motte's Wharf included a "scale house," where items were
weighed, and which apparently was large enough for Motte to locate his
office and store there after the great fire of 1740. North of Motte's
Wharf, which later became known as Adger's South Wharf, was Greenwood's
Wharf, which later became known as Adger's North Wharf. Greenwood, a
British merchant in Charles Town, was one of the
consignees of tea, taxed under the Tea Act of 1773.
Alexander Street originally
extended from Boundary (now Calhoun) to Chapel Street and was laid out as
part of the suburb of Mazyckborough in 1786. It was named for Alexander
Mazyck, developer of the suburb. Middle Street, in Gadsden's Middlesex,
between Laurens and Boundary streets, was made part of Alexander Street in
1903. The East End of Judith Street in Wraggborough became part of
Alexander Street in the 1880s.
Jas. Allan, who gave land to the city. Year
(Lagare) John Allen. Act of
Leg. 1768, mentions land left by John Allen, James Graeme for purpose of a
street or lane to be called Allen Street. (City Laws compiled by James
Chapman, Esq. Page 39 of appendix of section from 1834).
According to Mr. John Bennett,
from Amen Corner thereon, where last lash was given those publicly
flogged. (Amen Last Street in town, suggested.)
Lord Jeffrey Amherst
John Ancrum, husband of one of
ladies inheriting and dividing Rhettsbury or Point Plantation. (A.R.H.S.-page
270.) Into lots & streets-family names given.
Ann Street was laid out in
1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. It was named for Ann Wragg
(1731-1806), daughter of Joseph Wragg, and wife of Gen. Christopher
Anson Street, laid out in
1745-46 as part of the suburb of Ansonborough, originally extended between
George and Centurion (now part of Society) streets. Scarborough Street,
named for one of Lord Anson's ships, ran from George to Boundary (Calhoun)
Street. To the south, Quince (named for Parker Quince, husband of Susannah
Rhett) ran from Centurion to Pinckney, through Rhettsbury, and Charles
Street (named for Charles Pinckney) ran from Pinckney to Market, through
Colleton Square. By city ordinance, in 1805, Charles, Quince and
Scarborough streets became part of Anson Street.
Archdale Street was named for
John Archdale, a Quaker, who was Governor of the Province of Carolina in
1695-1696. Archdale was a man of "character and ability" who
introduced a series of important and beneficial laws, and whose brief time
in office was characterized by "moderation, respect for the rights of
all parties, firmness and the allaying of prejudices by the gentleness of
Ashley Avenue was first laid
out as Lynch Street, for Thomas Lynch, in 1770, as one of the streets of
the Village of Harleston. After the Revolution, the street from Calhoun
north was called Paine or Payne. In 1791, as it crossed Elliott (now
Spring Street) Street, it was called Thomas. The street from Line Street
to Congress, in the Village of Washington, was called Legare Street. In
1869, Lynch Street was extended south to Broad Street, and still later to
Tradd. In 1897, the name Ashley Avenue was applied to the length of the
Sometime before 1739, Lynch's
Lane was laid out from Meeting Street to the Cooper River, with a width of
12 feet. 1800 had widened the street, from Church Street to East Battery,
widened to 26 feet. The portion from Church to Meeting remained narrow and
was called Lightwood Alley, but in 1805 was again called Lynch's Lane. In
1837, the street was made of uniform width throughout the two blocks and
renamed Atlantic Street to avoid confusion with Lynch Street, in Harleston
(now part of Ashley Avenue.)
The back street of land of
Mazyck family has originally First Street laid out by Mazycks. (Index Bk.
To plat Bk. In City Engineer’s Office page 39, map 3.)
Barre (pronounced like Barry)
Street was surveyed in 1770 as the westernmost street of the Village of
Harleston running south to north from a creek just below Beaufain Street
and crossing a creek just to the north of Bull Street. The street,
however, was platted through marshlands and never actually laid out. Lucas
Street, located at a point between Barre (as platted in 1770) and Gadsden
streets, and running north from Manigault Street (as the western portion
of Calhoun was then called) to Mill Street (now Sabin), was cut through
the lands of Jonathan Lucas, Sr. and Jr., mill builders and operators. The
continuation of Lucas Street south of Calhoun into the lands and Jr. was
also called Lucas Street. In the mid-20th century, when the
street was continued south to Broad Street, the old name of Barre was
revived and applied to the length of the street. Barre street honors Isaac
Barre, a member of Parliament who, like William Pitt, sponsored the cause
of the colonists against ''taxation without representation."
Beaufain Street was platted as
part of Harleston Village in 1770; it followed the north line of the
original Grand Modell of Charles Town and of the Mazyck Lands, which was
also the south boundary of the Glebe Lands and the Harleston lands. The
street was named for Hector Berenger de Beaufain, a French Huguenot who
came to South Carolina about 1735 and lived here until his death in 1766.
He was a prominent and "well-beloved" citizen, a member of the
St. Andrews Society and other organizations here and abroad. He was one of
the founders of the Charleston Library Society, a member of his Majesty's
Council, and for 24 years was Collector of Customs. He was buried in St.
Philip's churchyard and a monument given by his fellow citizens was placed
in the church. The monument was destroyed when the church burned in 1835.
Beaufain's monument bore witness to his "unshaken integrity" as
customs collector. McCrady states that South Carolina, enjoying a
lucrative trade with London and special privilege under the trade laws,
which allowed rice to be shipped directly to Spain, Portugal and the
Mediterranean, was not annoyed with the Navagation Acts, as were the
northern colonies, where smuggling became a way of life. Therefore
Charlestonians had no reason for hostility to the Royal customs officials
until the adoption of the Stamp Act, 1764.
(Bedon's Alley from Tradd St.)
Bedon's Alley was in existence
by 1704, when it appeared, unnamed, on the Crisp Map. The "lchonography"
of 1739 identifies it as Middle Lane. Deeds as early as 1733, however,
refer to it as Beadon's or Bedon's Street or Alley. It was named for
George Beadon (Bedon), a merchant who owned land in the little street. The
fires of 1740 and 1778 swept through the alley, presumably destroying all
Family name, Judge Bee a
member of Congress in Philadelphia. (Johnson’s traditions John Bee, 1717
sold land to Benjamin de la Cousiellere. (AQRS page 226)
Thomas Bennett who acquired a
large part of Harleston. Owned large lumber mills in company with Daniel
Canon, (A.R.H.S. page 321.) Harleston Streets laid out from act of 1770. (A.R.H.S.
page 311.) According to plan submitted by owner.
Presently called Chalmers
Street, John Beresford. Lot 43 of "Modell" on West Side of
Church Street & 2nd lot North from Broad Street granted to
him, March 22, 1682 (1725 lot plat of C.T.)
Blake family. George Logan
(1700) conveyed to Joseph Blake Landgrave and one of the Proprietors 210
acres of original Dalton grant. Most of this remained in Blake family for
many years. (Judge Smith Charleston Neck page 12.)
Blakeweys, Street of Major
Major Blakewey, with a few
others, Mr. Skene & Col. Logan early protested against Govt. of Lords
Prop. Wrote letter to Gov., 1719. (McCrady Volume 1670-1719 page 647.)
Now named Clifford Alley
The fixed boundary line
between lands of Christopher Gadsen and Alexander Mazyck, according to an
agreement of April 22, 1768. (R.M.C.O. – I number 3 page 415.)
A plantation so-called &
belonging at one time to George Lord Anson (a gamester and gambler.) Index
book to plat book in the city engineer’s office page 70 maps number 1.
Broad Path or High Way
Broad Street was just that,
the broadest street in Charles Town. The street was 61 feet wide at the
intersection of East Bay and 100 feet wide between St. Michael's Church
and the Beef Market (which stood on the site of City Hall). Records during
the period, 1698 to 1714, interchangeably refer to Broad Street and Cooper
Street, presumably for Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper.
Bull Street was named for
William Bull; a native South Carolinian who was the last to fill the
Royally appointed office of Lieutenant governor. Land laid out from an act
Calhoun Street is named for
John C. Calhoun, the "Great Nullifier. " Originally the eastern
portion of the street was Boundary Street, as after the Revolution it
marked the northern extent of the city. The area above Boundary Street was
known as Charleston Neck. The portion west of King Street was called
Manigault Street, for Peter Manigault, speaker of the House. The entire
length of the street became Calhoun Street after the city limit was
extended to Mount Pleasant street in 1849.
Apparently a family name. One
of lots of Modell of Charles Town granted to Is Caillabeuf, 1694. (Lot
plat of C.T. 1725). Laid out by consent of neighborhood, conveyance
recorded 1713. (R.M.C.O. E page 220). Shown as public thoroughfare on
Crisp’s Survey, 1704.
A canal dug here before
"evolution." (A.R.H.S. page 269.) Appears on plat of lands
brought by Charles Pinckney, plat of 1714 canal probably dug by C.C.
Pinckney? (R.M.C.O.-The John McCrady Plats book 2, page 87-in office of
county clerk, Charleston.)
Daniel Canon, a house
carpenter & most influential mechanic in Charleston and called Daddy
Cannon. Large landowner and had a large lumber mills. Johnson’s
traditions, page 34; also A.H.R.S. page 331. Acquired land 1762, and
conveyed it in 1800. (Charleston Neck, Judge Smith, page 73.)
Lord Anson’s ship
"Centurion" in which he made his famous voyage. (A.R.H.S. page
281.) One of the original streets of Ansonborough laid out by Hunter’s
Chalmers Street, the longest
remaining Cobblestone Street, has had various names. The block from Union
(now State) to Church was early called Union Alley, and after he purchased
property on it in 1757, was called Chalmers Alley after Dr. Lionel
Chalmers. Dr. Chalmers (1715-1777), a Scot, studied medicine at the
University of Edinburgh before settling in South Carolina where he became
one of the leading physicians and was associated with Dr. John Lining (see
106 Broad). He was a scientist who, like Lining, recorded weather
observations and published the results in London in 1776. His work on
tetanus was published in the Transactions of the Medical Society of London
(1754) and his Essay on Fevers was published in Charles Town (1767). He
corresponded with leading European scientists, as did Lining and Dr.
Alexander Garden of Charles Town. The great fire of 1778 destroyed
Chalmers’ residence in the alley. It was on the north side; otherwise
its location is uncertain. The continuation of the thoroughfare, from
Church Street to Meeting was Beresford Alley, named for Richard Beresford,
a Wando River planter who in 1715 left his large estate for the
establishment of a free school. The fund continues to provide scholarships
for needy students. Forty years after the Revolution, the two alleys were
widened, paved and merged into one street under the name Chalmers Street.
Chapel Street was named for a
chapel (apparently never built) for which a lot at the northeast corner of
Chapel and Elizabeth streets was set aside in the plan of Wraggborough.
Later, a chapel was built on the triangle at the street's western, in
1858. The congregation of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church used it while
their sanctuary (now New Tabernacle Fourth Baptist Church, 22 Elizabeth
St.) was being built. The tradition that the street was named for this
chapel is untrue, as the name of the street predated the building. Later,
the congregation of St. Mark’s Episcopal used the chapel Church, until
their church on Thomas Street was built. The building was demolished in
From Pinckney to present
Market so walled as early 1739 map by Pinckney. Could it be named for
Charles Pinckney as Rhettsbury & Ansonborough Streets nearby named for
Charlotte Street was laid out
in 1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. It was named for Charlotte
Wragg, daughter of Joseph Wragg and wife of John Poaug.
Family name (R.M.C.O.C. number
page 407) there bouts around 1801.
Church Street, named for the
new St. Philip's Church, was one of the regularly laid out streets of the
1672 Grand Modell, extending the length of the town from what is now
Cumberland Street to Vanderhorst Creek (present Water Street). Early
references call it New Church Street, signifying the removal of St.
Philip's from its original site, and in some cases, new Meeting street,
reflecting perhaps the loss of Old Meeting Street due to construction of
the city walls, and perhaps the presence of the Baptist Church near it's
south end. By 1739, it was known simply as Church Street. By that time,
also, Vanderhorst Creek had been bridged and Church Street Continued was
cut from Vanderhorst Creek south to Broughton's Battery on White Point.
Clifford Street was early
known as Dutch Church Alley, for the German (Deutsches) Lutheran Church
(St. John's) which stood on the present site of St. John's Parish House.
It was later named for John Clifford, who owned property at its eastern
College Street is named for
the College of Charleston, through whose lands it was cut in 1797. The
street became integrated into the college's campus once again in the
The Lord Prop made Sir Peter
Colleton, to whom grant of lot No. 80 of Modell in 1681.
The lake and its park were
part of the Commons established by an Act of the Commons House of Assembly
in 1768, setting aside the area forever for public use. The tradition that
the lake was developed as a small boat harbor for planters apparently has
no foundation in fact. Most likely, it served as MillPond for a succession
of sawmills, which operated in the vicinity. For many years the lake was
known as the Rutledge Street Pond. It acquired the name, Colonial Lake, in
1881, in honor of the "Colonial Commons" established in 1768.
Some residents still call it "The Pond." The park around the
lake was developed in 1882-87. Fountains were placed in the lake in 1973,
not for decorative purposes, but to aerate the water and prevent fish
kills on hot summer days. "Gala Week" used to be held in the
fall of the year, with a fireworks display on the West Side of the Pond,
which was then an undeveloped area. Spectators filled to park and crowded
onto boats in the lake.
Opened by City Ordinance, July 9, 50 foot wide
Coming Street is named for
Mrs. Affra Coming, who came on the ship Carolina in 1670 and left the
Glebe Lands to the Anglican Church. Coming, John Affra his wife. Grant of
133 acres made to J.C. 1675. (A.R.H.S. page 311) Streets of Harleston
provided for by act of 1770 (A.R.H.S. page) Affra Coming in Harleston.
John Coming a Devonshire sailor first mate of Carolina and later Edisto
& Blessing. (Chas. Ravenel page 10)
A Middlesex Street named to
show political leaning of Christopher Gadsen. (A.R.H.S. page 281.)
Godfrey Cone1 a landowner
thereabouts 1793. (R.M.C.O. K no.6 page 126) Lot No. 17 also known as
Corner’s Lot. (Ibid page 313 Book E.)
Village of Washington Streets
named to commemorate names noted in Revolution. (A.R.H.S. page 334)
Cool Blow Street
C.B. Village (Index Book to
plat book in city engineer’s office page 97, map no. 1.)
(Broad) Could it have been
named for Dr. Christian Cooper, deceased before 1722 who owned lot
surrounding present site of St. Michael’s Church? No. 109 of "Modell"?
(R.M.C.O. e page 41.)
Cordes Street was named for
the family of Catherine Cordes, wife of Samuel Prioleau, Jr., owner of
Prioleau's Wharf. It. was the southernmost street of the Prioleau's Wharf
property, which was laid out by his heirs in 1816, with streets named for
branches of the family: Prioleau, Cordes and Gendron.
Street in Middlesex named
after Christopher Gadsen’s political learnings. (A.R.H.S. page 281.)
Benjamin de la Conseillere,
assistant Justice, 1737, etc. Name first imposed on creeks, Oldys’ and
the western branch, Holding’s which later gave name to street. (A.R.H.S.
page 223.) Purchased land from John Bee, 1717. (Ibid, page 226.)
Court House Square
This was formerly State House
Alley or State House Square, when the South Carolina State House was
located on the site of the Charleston County Court House. After the
Revolution, when the state capital was moved to Columbia and the burned
State House was rebuilt as the Charleston District Court House, the name
change for the street followed.
Cumberland Street was probably
named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, who defeated the
pro-Stuart Scots at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. The street does not
appear on the "Iconography" of 1739. Cumberland was originally
one block long, from Meeting to Church. It. was widened in the early part
of the 19th century, and extended to East Bay. In the process, a slice was
taken from Amen Street, which ceased to exist. Amen Street began at East
Bay and extended northwestwardly to Church Street. One tradition says it
was so named because it was the last street on the north side of town;
another that it was so-called because it was in hearing range of the
"Amens" from nearby churches.
Lot No. 35 conv. To Lawrence
Dennis 1723 who conv. It 1726 (R.M.C.O. A No.3 page 118.)
Dutch Church Alley
First German Church built
about 1759. (Shecut sketch) Led to Dutch Church.
East Bay Street was originally
called Bay Street or The Bay. According to Ramsay, the first houses were
built along the waterfront. The early grants described lots as bounding
east on Cooper River. It was literally true, as there was nothing to the
east of East Bay but marsh and water. From the settlement of the town,
East Bay was the center of a growing commerce. As commerce grew and the
town grew, so did the number of wharfs or "bridges" as they were
called. With the buildup of land east of the town wall on curtain line,
short streets were laid out east of East Bay and office buildings and
warehouses were built on the street and wharfs. Most of that development
occurred after the American Revolution. During the colonial period, the
East Side of East Bay was fortified, from Granville's Bastion on the South
to Craven's Bastion on the north. The West Side of the street was lined
with buildings, stores below and residences above, while the wharfs
projected to the east of the curtain line. East Bay crossed a small swamp
at the foot of Queen Street and crossed a drainage canal at present-day
Market Street via the Governor's Bridge, whence it continued north to
Colleton Square and the other suburbs. Above the Governor's Bridge it was
known as East Bay continued as far as Laurens Street, where it was known
as Front street or So-Be-It Lane.
Elizabeth Street, named for
Elizabeth Wragg (1736-1773), daughter of Joseph Wragg, was one of the
original streets of Wraggborough. Elizabeth Wragg married Peter Manigault
and was the mother of the architect Gabriel Manigault. Photo: 48 Elizabeth
St. Aiken-Rhett Mansion c.1817
Thomas Ellery, co-purchaser of
Sir Peter Colleton’s Square along with C. Pinckney and George Hunter,
1736. (A.R.H.S. page 269)
This street was laid out as a
20-foot wide thoroughfare, by the agreement of several properties owners
through whose land the street was cut, in 1683. It was known at different
times as Callaibeuf's Alley and Poinsett's Alley, after Huguenot families
who owned property along it. It was also known as Middle Street, and
finally as Elliott's Alley or Elliott Street, for the family who owned
Elliott's Bridge (wharf) and other substantial real estate in the
neighborhood. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Elliott
Street was a major retail shopping area. The neighborhood suffered the
great fires of 1740 and 1778, and most of the buildings date from the
l790s. Restoration of houses on the street, which had fallen into slum
conditions, was begun in the 1930s.
(Spring) Thomas Elliott the
emigrant owned Charles Town Neck land prior to 1719. (Chas. Neck, Judge
Smith, page 35.)
Now called "Society Street."
30" wide reserved by Act
of Assembly for a public passage. (A.R.H.S. page 188)
Franklin Street was originally
called Back Street for its position on the back part of town.
In 1735, a deed that the
little street called Friend Street shall contain 20 feet in breath and
shall remain as a passage for all his Majesty’s subjects from Tradd to
Broad Street. (A.R.H.S. page 237.)
front. An original Middlesex Street. (R.M.C.O. Charleston, John McCrady
Plats, case number 34. Office County clerks.)
A large vacant space
surrounding the residence of Gen. Gadsen, a small wooded house with a
portico built by Lord Anson who occupied it as long as he lived.
Gadsden Street, one of the
original streets of Harleston village, laid out in 1770, was named for
Christopher Gadsden, Patriot general and lieutenant governor of South
Carolina during the Revolution.
George Street was laid out in
1746-47 as one of the Streets of Ansonborough and is named for George,
Lord Anson, and developer of the suburb. (A.R.H.S. page 282)
Geyer’s North Range
Tenements belonging to John
Geyer in 1802. Bounded on North by an Alley jointly owned by Arnoldus
Vanderhorst and on the South by a street leading to Geyer’s North Wharf.
(R.M.C.O. H7 page 122.)
Gibbes Street is named for
William Gibbes, who with other property owners cooperated to fill in the
marshland north of South Bay (south Battery) between 1770 and 1775. Gibbes
also built the mansion at 64 South Battery, c. 1772 at which time that
property extended north to Gibbes Street.
Gillon Street, one of the
city's few remaining cobble-stone streets, was named for Commodore
Alexander Gillon, who was a Scot born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and
who commanded the South Carolina Navy during the Revolution.
Goodbeys or Goodby’s
apparently a family name. A John Goodbee, planter and contemporary with
Charles Pinckney. A son named Alexander. (R.M.C.O. RR page 109)
This narrow thoroughfare,
which ran south from Tradd Street to the Ashley River, and now terminates
at Gibbe Street, was originally called Adams Street.
Named after a green of the College of
Charleston. (Fraser page 27)
Apparently from Grove Farm
Plat of Grove Farm laid out with streets, 1793. (R.M.C.O. book K number 6
page 68). Grove Farm was part of a grant in 1701 to Patrick Scott of 170
acres part of original Dalton grant. In 1738, the greater part of this and
additional land north conveyed by Daniel Cartwright to John Braithwaite
from whom it passed to John Gibbes. Gibbes then called his property Orange
Grove but it was later to become known simply as the Grove. In 1770 it
included some 232 acres.
In 1770 was two blocks of
Maiden Lane from Ellery to Pinckney Streets. Apparently named for Gabriel
Guignard who owned Colleton Square property in time of Charles Pinckney. (R.M.C.O.
S number 3 page 22.)
See Guignard Alley
Hampstead, Village of
Laid out for Henry Laurens, 1789. (R.M.C.O.
Vol. Y page 45)
Originally known as Sunken
Gardens, which with Rhett Farm named by the city in 1903.
Shown as "the Hard"
as a narrow strip of high land surrounded by marsh on plat by Robert
Naylor recorded 1773. (R.M.C.O. page 191 book I #4) Marked
"Hard" on copy of lands granted William Rhett, 1714, survey of
Rigby Naylor in 1773. (R.M.C.O. vol.6 page 1-9.)
Harleston, Village of
After the family of Mrs. Affra
Coming, niece of Harleston. This was the western part of the Coming Grant
and long remained in the possession of Mrs. Coming’s nephew and his
descendants and was continued to be called "Comings Point." The
will of John Harleston, second of the name, speaks of Harleston Village
and tells us that he and his brothers Nicholas and Edward had agreed to
lay out the same into lots. In 1770 an act was passed to open streets
through Harleston and Glebe lands according to a plan submitted by the
owners. (Smith page 311)
Named after Harleston family.
Provided for by an act of 1770. Changed from Barre to Harleston by City
ordnance August 30, 1837. (A.R.H.S. page 311.)
Gift of Mr. Harmon (Year book 1927 page 173.)
James Hasell Jr. son of Chief
Justice of North Carolina who married Barbara Wright, the grand daughter
of Col. Rhett of Rhettsbury. Two daughters of this marriage divided Point
Plantation or Rhettsbury between them, Laid out into lots and streets and
named streets family names. (A.R.H.S. page 270) Survey of division of land
into streets and lots, 1773, by Rigby Naylor. Copy of plat of lands
granted to William Rhett, 1714. (R.M.C.O. L#6 page 491.)
Robert Y. Hayne, first mayor
of Charlestown. Office of intendment changed to Mayor in 1836. Pearl
Street changed to Hayne in 1839 by city ordinance after being provided for
as a new wide street in general improvements of this area provided by City
Ordinances in the year 1836.
Daughter of Samuel Wragg of
Barony of Wraggborough. (A.R.H.S. page 297)
Bounded by Broad, Queen,
Friend, and Mazyck) Rev. Alexander Hewatt, D.D. pastor of Scotch, now 1st,
Presbyterian Church, Charleston, 1763-1776 published in London in 1799
first work designated as a history of South Carolina and complied with the
assistance of Lieut. Gov. Bull. In 1776 he left the province because of
his opposition to the pending Revolution. (McCrady 1670-1719)
1 block of Beaufain west of
King Street. Patrick Hind purchased from William Wragg, Esq. Before 1778,
the square formed by Wentworth, King, Beaufain, and St. Philip’s Street.
(R.M.C.O. Z #4, page 38) Plat by Rigby Naylor, 1770, shows that P. Hind
gave 20’ to open St. Philip’s Street and Lamps, August 18,
1812.Beaufain opened from King to Archdale by Act of Assembly 1746.
Family name William Hopton
owned large tract of land in Ansonborough and thereabouts in period
between 1707-1754. (R.M.C.O. VV page 335) bid John McCrady plats in Office
of County Clerk Chas. Case 36.
Horlbeck Alley or Street
Family name. Lease of a lot,
1793, to John Horlbeck by Roger Pinckney on Moore Street (present Horlbeck.)
(R.M.C.O. K6 page 164.)
General Huger originally a
street of Washington Village and these named to commemorate names in the
then recent Revolution.
George Hunter, Surveyor
General, who with Thomas Ellery and Charles Pinckney Esq. Purchased
Colleton Square property 1736. (A.R.H.S. page 269.) Laid out by Consent of
Proprietors. (Ibid YY page 236.)
Richard Hutson, author of act
of Incorporation of City and the City First intendment 133 years ago. (C.
News and Courier, August 13, 1936.)
load times, this document has been broken into two parts and is continued